With the bevy of apps and web tools out there, you can track just about every aspect of your finances with a smartphone and a solid Internet connection these days.
And yet, nearly half the American middle class say they still value the person-to-person approach.
Wherever you seek advice, whether it be from a long-time family friend or an employer-provided expert, nodo you any good if you're not prepared to ask the right questions at the right time.
The National Association of Personal Financeis an organization consisting of hundreds of registered fee-based planners. We reached out to several members of the NAPFA for tips on questions every client should be ready to ask their advisor:
[InvestingAnswers Feature: 4 Revealing Questions You Aren't Asking Your Financial Advisor]
"Real financial planning is not simply looking at someone’s investment holdings and providing a new asset allocation," says NAPFA National Chair Lauren Locker, CFP. "It is a much more detailed process that addresses every aspect of an individual's financial well being, including budgeting and saving, insurance, college funding, , tax strategies and more."
[InvestingAnswers Feature: 12 Signs Your ] Is The Next Bernie Madoff
According to financial planners themselves, here's what clients should be asking:
- When can I afford to retire?
- What financial changes can I expect after I get married?
- How much can I help my kids with school finances without derailing my own retirement?
- What's my net worth?
- Can I afford to have another child?
- How much house can I afford?
- How I be able to pay bills six months from now, six years from now and 16 years from now?
- Which investment vehicle is right for me?
- What types of insurance and documents do I need in place to protect my family?
- Where is my going now and where should it be going?
- What exactly is a diversified portfolio and how can I build one?
- How did my year?? do this past
- you make "buy or sell" recommendations for my portfolio?
- What tax savings strategies are available to me?
- Am I taking advantage of all the benefit plans my employer offers?
- How inflation impact my retirement goals?
This article originally appeared at Business Insider:
16 Questions You Should Ask Your
Check out these other articles from Business Insider: